Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Running for the Maasai - A Post by Mark Somen

Maasai Wilderness Conservation Trust board member, Mark Somen, chose to share his personal thoughts with us regarding the New York Marathon that occurred this past November. Read about it here!

Running for the Maasai:


I remember marvelling at the fact that 3 Maasai's ran the NY Marathon with shukas and all, in 2009 - accompanied by Luca Belpietro and Edward Norton. I ran my first New York Marathon in November with the team from MWCT. I wanted to share some things that really stood out for me. This was my second marathon - the first being the Safaricom (Lewa) Marathon in Kenya.

STAND OUT #1 - the crows of supporters in New York are famous. The crowds at the Lewa Marathon, well, lets say for much of the route the giraffe outnumbered the humans. So I was expecting huge crowds through New York, but nothing prepared me for the volume, intensity and passion that the crowd brought with them.

STAND OUT #2 - As some of you may know, we flew Jacob Lamaron out from the Chyulus to run with us and for the 2 days before the race, we walked Jacob around the streets of Manhattan. Jacob was dressed somewhat traditionally - and Stand Out 2 was the number of people stopping him to take his picture. Really? I though New Yorkers just dealt with all things unique and unusual...

STAND OUT #3 - pre Marathon party. Modo Yoga, Dina T the yoga instructor, DJ Kylie T, Health Warrior and the fabulous Melissa Chmelar from Spoon - all donating time/food/energy and great spirit to make the party happen; as well as numerous other people. When I think of the fact that we are 7000 miles away from the Chyulu Hills in New York City - and there are all these people who care passionately about MWCT - it humbles me. I am Kenyan, I am on the board of MWCT, I love what is happening there, and love Luca, Antonella and the extended family there - so in a way, I should be doing something. But these random other people - why are they making this a priority? The evening at Modo Yoga and the deep sense of community, sharing and togetherness will say with me for a long time. And the pride that I feel being a part of MWCT hopefully will stay with me forever.

STAND OUT #4 - my immense sense of gratitude. Finishing that distance made me feel amazing, but in no way did I feel it was only ME. The hundreds of thousands of New Yorkers and visitors that carried me though the distance and my many friends who sponsored me to reach my goal of $5000 for my charity. My Italian Maasai friends Luca and Antonella who got me into this incredible family called Campi ya Kanzi and MWCT, my New York (Japanese) running buddy, my best friend who was there practically every step of the day, and of course my lovely wife Yassi and kids. Yassi and the kids for putting up with my never-ending training, as well as giving me that boost just before the 59th St Bridge - boosting me over the bridge and through the second half of the marathon. I am so grateful to you all!

And so my mind turns to the upcoming year, to the next Yew York Marathon, and the words of Nelson Mandela:

"When people are determined they can overcome anything"

I think about the beautiful Chyulu Hills with all the challenges: filling the camp, having enough water, protecting the wildlife, building more schools and clinics - the list goes on. Running 26.2 miles seems like a task that is relatively easy to overcome, when you put it into perspective...

1 comment :